Library Conduct Policy
In order to ensure safety and security and provide a suitable environment for library use, the following guidelines for conduct have been approved by the Library Board of Trustees:
- All persons are welcome in the library. Parents or guardians are responsible for the conduct and safety of persons under their care.
- Complying with library staff instructions is a basic condition of library use.
- The Library is not responsible for personal belongings left unattended. Patrons should keep personal belongings with them at all times.
- Library materials must be properly checked out at the circulation desk. Certain materials, such as reference books, most periodicals and vertical file materials may not be removed from the library.
- Library furniture and equipment available for public use must be used for their intended purpose.
- Library staff reserves the right to inspect all bags, briefcases, backpacks, containers, books and any similar items.
- Pay telephones are provided for patron use in some branches. Library telephones are for library business only. In deference to other library users, library staff will not page patrons.
The following forms of conduct are not permitted:
- Behavior which may result in disturbing other library users, including, but not limited to: ringing pagers, loud talking, running, shoving, throwing things, physical or verbal harassment or threats.
- Use of library computers in violation of the library's Internet Safety and Use Policy or Rules for Use of Library Computers.
- Food and beverages, except in approved areas by prior arrangement.
- Use of tobacco, alcohol or illegal substances.
- Use of cellular telephones except in designated areas where posted.
- Entering the library without proper attire, which conforms to the standard of the community for public places, including shoes and shirts.
- Damage, destruction, theft or improper use of library property or facilities.
- Carrying or displaying any unauthorized or dangerous weapon.
- Entering non-public areas such as staff work rooms, offices and storage areas without staff authorization.
- Bringing animals into the library, except service animals, unless authorized.
- Engaging in any form of sexual misconduct, including exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of other patrons or staff.
- Selling, advertising, petitioning, or soliciting for contributions or support, except as authorized.
- Engaging in any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law, ordinance or regulation.
Other conduct in the library or use of library services that causes disruption of library operations is not permitted.
If library users engage in conduct that is not permitted, the library staff will act according to procedures set by the Director, Library Services.
Adopted by the Clayton County Library Board of Trustees on April 12, 2005.