Do you or someone you know need a little help this time of year? Or maybe you want to help others by volunteering? These resources may be of interest.
- Divine Faith Ministries International - They operate both a food pantry and clothing closet. They also 'personal financial management counseling and debt assistance. 9800 Tara Blvd, Jonesboro, GA 678-489-8317. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sconiers Homeless Prevention Organization - Services include behavioral health counseling,
drug rehabilitation, housing assistance, job training, financial assistance, health
screenings, education/vocational training, GED training, etc. Call for details. 126 Hwy 138 Riverdale, GA 404-454-3554
- Hearts to Nourish Hope - Enhances and supports social impact for youth and familiesthat will influence change around the world. 345 Scott Rd, Riverdale, GA 770-994-954
- Toys for Tots Request or donate toys. Best way to reach is by email: email@example.com. Call for details. 678-887-5179.
- Center of Hope Church Toys for Tots - 3460 Noah's Ark Rd., Jonesboro, GA.
770-506-9797. Fill out online application to register.
- Jonesboro Housing Authority can offer programs such as section 8 vouchers and possibly referrals. The vouchers can be used by qualified, low income families as a form of subsidy on their monthly rent payments. There is usually waiting list for the program. 203 Hightower St., Jonesboro, Georgia 30236,(770) 478-7282.
- Simple Teachings Bible Church - Helping families with Christmas toys and holiday baskets. Call for details. 11659-A Hastings Bridge Rd., Lovejoy, GA 770656-4708.
- Restoring New Life Worship is offering holiday assistance to families in the area. Call
for details. 699 Rountree Rd., Riverdale GA 30274, Suite D-1 810-449-7780.
- Clayton County Society of St. Vincent de Paul can be reached at (770) 477-2388. Various social services and assistance programs are offered for the poor and low income. Examples include GED instruction and life skills education, a free food pantry, financial aid or rent or energy bills, and more. A formal application and intake process is in effect.
- Clayton County Family Care, Inc. - The non-profit agency provides financial assistance for utilities including gas, water, and electric, rent assistance, mortgage payments, prescription medicine. Other services include financial management and credit counseling. 1000 Main St., Forest Park, Georgia 30297, call (404) 366-5527.
- Hollyweird Tattooz is offering a Toys for Tatz program that will give a tattoo or piercing voucher worth $L!.O to any customer who brings in a $20 valued unopened toy by December 23rd. Call for details. 569 Hwy 138, Jonesboro, GA 770-472-4202.
- Salvation Army - Provides emergency and financial assistance to persons and families in a crisis situation. Among other services they can provide free food, holiday programs, clothing, lodging, rent and cooling and utility bill assistance, counseling, and referrals to other comprehensive crisis centers, charities, and Georgia and federal government programs. In addition, they run the federal government funded Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing (HPRP) which provides temporary financial assistance for expenses such as rent, electric bills, gas, water (includes deposits), stabilization, and housing relocation services. Jonesboro Georgia (770) 724-1681.
- Faith Walk Ministries, Inc. - This church is a referral site for the Atlanta Furniture Bank and also runs a free food pantry. In addition, energy bill assistance is available for Clayton County residents only, and all services are by available appointment only. Clients can receive food or groceries up to three times per year. Call for details. (770) 997-0555. Riverdale GA.
Selected books on helping the less fortunate
Give a little : how your small donations can transform our world
Describes the enormous benefit that even small donations can make if properly directed.
Author: Wendy Smith
Call Number: 361.7 SMITH, WENDY
The lemonade ripple : a sweet story of kindness and charity
Author: Paul Reichert
Call Number: JE REICHERT, PAUL
The Robin Hood rules for smart giving
Describes how to be smart about giving money to good causes.
Author: Michael M. Weinstein and Ralph M. Bradburd
Call Number: 361.7068 WEINSTEIN, MICHAEL M
Key to Item Types:
Book Section / Call Number Range
Book - Reference Use Only
Online Database Available Through GALILEO - Password Required
Online Database Available Through the Library - Clayton County Library Card Required
Other Type of Resource